Me

Me
just Me

Monday, January 16, 2012

Ok so I'm going to attempt to actually post on this at least once or twice a week.  I can't promise it's gonna be interesting, being the wife of a level three sex offender still on probation tends to limit ones activities.  Most people our age have kids and until recently he has not had a PO that was OK with him participating in that part of life.  Mind you ALL Of our friends know his past, his complete past, because we both feel that its the responsible and safe thing to do.  When you try to hide something it almost ALWAYS comes back to bite your butt later.  It is kind of odd, people assume that all sex offenders are pedophiles, so they tightly restrict the individuals access to children, which removes just about any community service or charity work.  How does a person reform his or her when doing good deeds are forbidden to them.  However in a similar panicky fear sex offenders are forbidden to participate in just about anything sexual including personal pleasure toys, even to be used in a monogamous loving relationship.  If a PO wants to be very picky that SO could get in big trouble with that.  I'm not really sure how people are supposed to develop a good relationship with something by cutting it out completely.  Its kind of like people addicted to food, you can't just stop eating, and you can't just eat less you need to realize where your thoughts and actions were incorrect and work to change that.  For the most part the same can be said about sex offenders.  Like one therapist said "We are not trying to rehabilitate these individuals, we are trying to abilitate them.  Rehabilitating references restoring that person to what they were before the offense.  Obviously his or her thoughts and behaviors were very wrong in the first place.  What is needed now is to guide them to a safe and responsible and healthy relationship with sexual situations." 
So Ok I got off track kinda...  The general point is that any kind of social interaction can be very difficult when you have to factor in everyone's fears, and everyone's safety, and prejudices as well.  And don't get me started on the lack of money.  Its difficult for just about any ex-con to find a job, but when you make that into a sexual offense then you just might as well forget about it.  Even that show "Pit-bulls and Parolees"  who will give jobs to guys just getting out of prison and still on probation or parole wont higher a sex offender. 
I'm not completely sure I understand her reasoning.  I just don't really see that much of a difference between one convict and another.  From all the reading I've done its obvious that violent offenders and drug related offenders have a much higher percentage of repeat infractions than just about any group of sex offenders.  The one glaring exception are the pedophiles, but in general those people really truly are very mentally sick people.  I truly do respect Tia's goals and the work she does.  In fact if we EVER get to a more stable place in our lives, and have the land/ space to spare my husband and I both want to adopt one of her pit bulls, and if we can we would like to donate to her cause as well.  The possibilities of opening a shelter much like her own is also not out of our thoughts.  So yes in general I respect her and her cause, I just wish she was able to give everyone the same chances that she already does.
Does that sound odd?  I wonder if the general populace would ever, ever think about sex offenders wanting to do good--wanting to make the world a better place.  I doubt it, I very much doubt it.
But that kinda makes me want to succeed even more.

1 comment:

  1. Omg ...speaking right to me.My boyfriend is on Parole for failure to register (he was living out of his car ) so after doing an entire year in prison for it...he is on Parole.It sucks! My son isnt allowed around him for the next year.No libraries.Nothing with children at all even though his offense was not on a minor.It sucks because you start feeling like you are suffering the same restrictions.No sex toys to make things fun ...in my house no laptops or computers of any type.I have to look for ways to use the computer when I am not home.It sucks.It sucks that a company hasn't come together with other sex offenders and really tried to make something happen.Something in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete